Address: 300 Tingey Street SE
General Description: From the Neighborhood Restaurant Group (ChurchKey, Birch & Barley, Rustico, etc.) comes this Navy Yard brewery and restaurant space. 19 fermenters of various shapes and sizes fit into a beautifully renovated boiler factory. A rotating selection of 20 different drafts (and up to 5 casks) covers a wide variety of styles (sometimes traditional, sometimes traditional with a twist, and sometimes hybrids) produced by Bluejacket’s four-person brewing team with various backgrounds. The space is divided between the brewhouse and fermenters (upper floors), the bar, and The Arsenal, a restaurant on the first floor akin to Birch & Barley.
Year Founded: 2013
- Forbidden Planet (Kolsch / 4.2%) - Heavily dry-hopped with Galaxy hops, this is a traditional Kolsch base with huge mango and tropical fruit notes. Eminently drinkable.
- Lost Weekend (American India Pale Ale / 6%) - Citra hops showcase here in an IPA with a very soft bitterness a la the “Vermont IPA” substyle. Prominent notes of white peach, guava, and tangerine.
- Mexican Radio (Milk Stout / 6.1%) - Mole-inspired milk stout with chocolate, vanilla, cinnamon, and ancho chiles. Brewed with oats for a velvety mouthfeel.
- Moby Grape (Flanders Red/Brown / 7.6%) - Brown ale soured with lactobacillus. Prominent tart cherries, cocoa, bread crust, and a touch of sherry vinegar.
- Full Bloom (Saison with Brettanomyces / 5.2%) - Exclusively fermented with Brettanomyces Bruxellensis, this farmhouse ale has notes of white peach before finishing extremely crisp and peppery.
- The Twit (Witbier with Lactobacillus / 4.5%) - Started with Lactobacillus before being finished with witbier yeast, this is a quintessential spring and summer beer. Tangy, mouthpuckering, and refreshing.
Growlers? No, but a selection of 750 mL bottles are available for take-out
Growler Hours: 750 mL bottles are available during regular operating hours
Tours?: Yes, on Saturdays. There are different tiers of tours. Complimentary at 10:30a, 11:30a, 12:30p, 1:30p, first come, first served. At 2 and 3p, is a tasting tour ($29/person). At 4:30p, the Bluejacket Food and Beer Experience Tour kicks off. Check the link for more info.