Name: DC Brau
Address: 3178 Bladensburg Rd NE
Type: Production brewery
General Description: As the District’s first production brewery for over a half century, DC Brau is very much in the trailblazing business. Since founding Brau, longtime DC residents Brandon Skall and Jeff Hancock have seen lots of success, with a major expansion already under their belts and a huge presence in the local market. DC Brau has embraced the craft canning movement, putting both flagships and some limited release beers in the bottle alternatives. Their products can be found at better beer bars and otherwise macro-leaning restaurants alike, so if you’re in DC, there’s almost always a Brau nearby.
Year Founded: 2009
- The Public (Pale Ale / 6.0%): A strong contender for DC’s go to, it’s everything an American pale ale should be: firmly bitter with enough caramel and bready malts to balance.
- The Corruption (IPA / 6.5%): Bigger and bolder than the Public, with a 100% Columbus hop bill delivering a bracing 80 IBUs.
- The Citizen (Belgian Pale Ale / 7%): Abbey yeast and noble hops distinguishes the Citizen from Brau’s otherwise American core line-up.
- On the Wings of Armageddon (Imperial IPA / 9.2%): DC’s first ‘whale’, OTWOA (or Wings, as it’s affectionately called) boasts 100% Falconer’s Flight hops, 115 measured IBUs, and so. much. bitterness.
- Penn Quarter Porter (Robust Porter / 5.5%): While not quite as sexy as an imperial IPA, PQP is a knockout porter that stands with the region’s best.
Growler Hours: Wednesday-Friday 4-9pm, Saturday 1-6pm, and Sunday 1-5pm
Tours: Saturdays at 2pm, 3pm, and 4pm.