Name: Heavy Seas Beer
Address: 4615 Hollins Ferry Road, Halethorpe, MD
Type: Production brewery with brewery restaurants in Baltimore and Arlington
General Description: Clipper City Brewing Company was started in 1994 by Hugh Sisson and absorbed Oxford Brewing in 1997. In 2003, the pirate-themed Heavy Seas brand was created, and in 2010 all three brands were collapsed under this brand. Brewing a wide variety of thematically-named offerings, Heavy Seas also has the largest cask program on the east coast. Hundreds of firkins of specially-hopped Heavy Seas brews like Loose Cannon and Powder Monkey go out to area bars and restaurants each year.
Year Founded: 1994 as Clipper City Brewery, Heavy Seas brand created in 2003. Consolidated Clipper City and Oxford Brewing into Heavy Seas in 2010.
- Loose Cannon (India Pale Ale / 7.3%) - Employing Warrior, Simcoe, Palisade, Centennial, Cascade, and Citra hops, this is Heavy Seas’ flagship and most popular beer. Hopped in the boil, through a hopback, and in the fermenter
- Crossbones (Session India Pale Ale / 4.5%) - Using a “secret blend” of hops, this is a scaled down version of Heavy Seas’ very popular Loose Cannon IPA
- Gold (Blonde Ale / 4.5%) - Akin to a hoppy Kolsch, this is crisp and easy-drinking with formidable citrus from Cascade and Centennial hops
- Small Craft Warning (Pilsner / 7%) - Described as an “Uber Pils,” this is a heavily-hopped (six varieties!) version with a sweet, biscuity malt backbone
- Peg Leg (Imperial Stout / 8%) - Archetypal imperial stout. Velvety mouthfeel, roast and coffee, packs a punch
- Cutlass (Vienna Lager / 5.3%) - Heavy Seas’ most award-winning beer. Toasted, biscuity lager.
- Powder Monkey (American Pale Ale / 4.8%) - English-style pale ale. Often appears in casks around the area. Grassy and citrus notes from UK hops and Cascade
- Riptide (White India Pale Ale / 7.3%) - A cross between a wit and an IPA, lots of wheat gives this a full mouthfeel and spicy flavor, seven different hop varieties load it up with citrus
- Winter Storm (Imperial Extra Special Bitter / 7.5%) - “A mix of pale and darker malts give it its tawny color and its bigger body. True to the style, Winter Storm’s aroma is nutty malts and earthy hops.”
- Great’ER Pumpkin (Bourbon Barrel-Aged Pumpkin Beer / 10%) - Massive pumpkin beer with flavors of cinnamon, vanilla, ginger, allspice, and clove
- Red Sky at Morning (Chardonnay-Aged Saison / 9%) - “This beer is brewed with authentic Belgian candi sugar and special acidulated malt for a tart bite. It’s then finished in Chardonnay barrels to give the beer a complex dry finish.”
Growlers? Yes. In compliance with Maryland law, they can only fill Heavy Seas branded growlers. If you would like to bring in your own to be filled, they will exchange it for one of theirs. Growler Prices: $8/64oz or $5/32oz – Gold, Cutlass Amber, Powder Monkey, $11/64oz or $6/32oz – Small Craft Warning, Loose Cannon, Peg Leg, Seasonal Offerings, $15/32oz only – Uncharted Waters, $5 empty growler jug
Growler Hours: Monday & Tuesday: CLOSED, Wednesday: 3p-9p, Thursday: 3p–9p, Friday: 3p-10p, Saturday: 12p–10p, Sunday: 12p–5p
Tours?: Yes, sign up for tours here.