Name: Lost Rhino Brewing Company
Address: 21730 Red Rum Drive, Suite 142, Ashburn, VA
Type: Production brewery with attached restaurant on-premise
Year Founded: 2011
General Description: According to their website, the brewery’s name comes from a “surfing term, rhino chaser; someone out to find the best waves, the biggest waves—an adventurer.” This particular adventure finds Matt Hagerman and Favio Garcia, who brewed together at Old Dominion Brewing, producing all kinds of beers from classic pilsners to beers brewed with exotic yeasts cultivated and nurtured in-house. Lost Rhino does a full range of styles well, including lagers, IPAs, and even some sour and funky beers. Their brewery in Ashburn has an attached restaurant where you can grab a bite while you sample brews.
- Face Plant (India Pale Ale / 6.2%) - Whole cone hops offer grapefruit and herbaceousness to a significant malt base.
- Rhino Chasers (Pilsner / 5.6%) - Classic pilsner with a crisp finish and the grassiness of noble hops. Very true to style.
- New River (American Pale Ale / 5.4%) - Large hop additions for an APA, including dry-hopping, give this a complexity of citrus and pine.
- Steampunk (California Common / 4.5%) - Crisp and malty at the same time. Unfiltered and brewed with northwestern hops.
- Rhino’fest (Marzen / 5.5%) - GABF gold medal winner. Finishes crisp and clean while showcasing all that malt can be.
- Final Glide (Hefeweizen / 5.3%) - Excellent example of the unfiltered German wheat beer that offers the traditional clove and banana notes.
- Megafauna (India Pale Lager / 7.5%) - All of the hoppy goodness you would want out of an IPA while offering the mouthfeel and finish of a lager. A portion of sales go to protecting African wildlife.
- Bone Dusters (Amber Ale / 5%) - Amber ale brewed with yeast cultivated from fossilized whale bone.
Growler Hours: Tuesday: 4-9pm, Wednesday-Thursday: 11:30 am-9pm, Friday-Saturday: 11:30am - 11 pm (Live Music), Sunday: 12-5pm
Tours?: Yes, Saturday 1-5pm