Name: Mad Fox Brewing Company
Address: 444 West Broad Street, Suite I, Falls Church, VA (Original Brewpub); 2218 Wisconsin Avenue NW, Washington, DC (Tap Room)
Type: Brewpub with some local distribution and additional tap room
General Description: Opened in 2010 by brewer Bill Madden and his business partner Rick Garvin, Mad Fox Brewing is one of the premier brewpubs in the region. Madden has serious chops, having won 9 GABF medals in his career. DC and VA residents are fortunate that they’ve started to distribute so that their beers can be found at many top craft bars. The Falls Church hotspot makes a bevy of English, German, Belgian, and American styles. Well known for their Kolsch and IPAs like Orange Whip and Molotov Hoptail, Mad Fox has something for everyone. Their kitchen cranks out beer-friendly pizzas, burgers, and more using as many housemade ingredients as possible.
Year Founded: Founded 2007, Opened 2010
- Kellerbier Kölsch (4.4%) - 2011 GABF gold medal winner. An unfiltered version of their renowned Kolsch. Compared to the filtered Kolsch, this is slightly fruitier with a fuller mouthfeel.
- Kölsch (4.4%) - Mad Fox’s take on the Cologne classic. This is the filtered version. Very subtly hopped and just slightly herbaceous from noble hops. Clean crisp finish with lager aroma notes.
- Defender American Pale Ale (5.2%) - American-style of Pale Ale brewed with English Pale malt and German Vienna malt. Brewed with all Columbus hops for bittering, flavor, and aroma. Slightly fruity from the house ale yeast.
- Mason's Dark Mild (3.3%) - Exceedingly sessionable and often available on cask, this is a dark and roasty beer with notes of toffee and chocolate. Hops balance out the finish and keep things interesting.
- Praha Pils (Pilsner / 5.2%) - Czech Bohemian Pilsener brewed with authentic Bohemian Pilsener malt made from the heirloom Hanka barley varietal and imported Czech Saaz hops.
- Orange Whip IPA (American India Pale Ale / 7.5%) - Heavily dry hopped with Citra hops along with kettle additions of Citra hops. Lots of citrus notes like pineapple, tangerine, and of course, orange. Caramel backbone to support it all.
- Molotov Hoptail (Double American India Pale Ale / 8.6%) - East Coast style DIPA with a significant malty foundation. Heavily hopped with Centennial and Columbus hops are used, along with Cascade hop oil, for pronounced grapefruit and pine resin.
- Oktoberfest Lagerbier (5.2%) - Traditional Marzen using German Pilsener, Vienna, and Munich malts and noble hops. A true malt showcase with plenty of complex bread and toast notes.
Growlers? Yes, growlers vary from $15-25. Special Tuesday promotion where a specific beer is half price.
Growler Hours: During regular business hours
Tours?: Customers can learn about the brewery process first-hand by taking a behind-the-scenes tour of our onsite brewery as part of their First Saturday Brewery Open House held on the first Saturday of each month. A member of the Mad Fox brewery team conducts one-hour guided tours for up to 15 guests. Tours are scheduled for Noon, 2:00 pm and 4:00 pm. Onsite day-of-register is required on a first-come, first-served basis.