Name: Port City Brewing Company
Address: 3950 Wheeler Avenue, Alexandria, VA
Type: Production brewery
General Description: Port City is well-known for its excellent and true-to-style renditions of classic styles. You won’t find habanero double-hopped beers here, but you will find well brewed beers that serve as great gateways to craft beer and also have plenty for beer aficionados to appreciate. That isn’t to say that this is a boring portfolio. Seasonals and the Colossal annual release series keep things interesting with more experimentation than the flagships.
Year Founded: 2011
- Optimal Wit (Witbier / 5%) - A phenomenal (2013 GABF gold winning), witbier featuring coriander, orange peel, and grains of paradise. Delicate, peppery yeast profile makes this a great beer for n00bs and aficionados alike.
- Monumental IPA (American IPA / 6.3%) - English-style IPA (2012 GABF bronze winning). Balanced between grassy and floral hops and a firm caramel malt bill.
- Essential Pale Ale (American Pale Ale / 5.5%) - Huge citrus (tangerine, navel orange) nose with a crisp biscuity finish. This beer has developed and improved a lot since its launch.
- Porter (American Porter / 7.5%) - Dark chocolate and rich coffee notes in a velvety porter. Just a touch of stone fruit from the yeast. An excellent rendition of the style.
- Downright Pils (Pilsner / 4.8%) - Authentic, naturally carbonated pilsner with a dry-hop addition of Saaz hops. Very crisp finish with a significant noble hop character.
- Oktoberfest (Marzen / 6%) - Traditional German marzen, served unfiltered. Available only in the fall. A complex malt character reminiscent of crusty bread.
- Tidings (Imperial Belgian blonde / 7.8%) - Holiday seasonal. Drinks like an imperial witbier. Sweetened with honey, spiced with ginger, cardamon, grains of paradise, and coriander.
- Derecho Common (California Common / 4.8%) - The result of a happy(?) accident when the brewery lost power, this is balanced between a biscuity malt bill and a grapefruit/citrus note from Centennial hops.
Growler Hours: Monday, Wednesday, Thursday 4-9pm, Friday 3-10pm, Saturday 12-9pm, Sunday 12-6pm
Tours?: Thursday, Friday 6:30pm, Saturday 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, & 6pm, Sunday 2 & 3pm